In 1844 the Omnibus service was inaugurated, replaced in 1877 by a horse-drawn tram line between the city centre (starting from Piazza Cavour) and the sea (Viale Principe Amedeo). The service was seasonal.
In 1917 the first stretch of an electric tram line led up to the Ospini Marini (Piazza Tripoli), inaugurated on 1 July 1921. The management was entrusted by the company RATE from the 1 April 1923, for two years.
The route from Ospizi Marini to Miramare was activated in 1925.
On April 1, 1926, there was a change in management when the company “Tramvie elettrici” took over from RATE.
On June 27, 1927, the last route was inaugurated up until Riccione.
In the ’30s the increase in tourism determined the necessity to strengthen the service and the General Electricity Company studied the transformation of the tramway trolleybus.
The tram terminated its service on January 15, 1939 and in July of the same year the trolleybus service operated by the Sita company was activated.
Because of the war the service was suspended from 1946 up to 1954.
In 1960 the management passed into the hands of the municipal company A.T.A.M. (Municipal Transportation Autofiloviari Company)
In 1992 the company became known as Tram.